Monday, December 7, 2009

The Result Of My 2:00 AM Procrastinating

It seems that all I have done in the past few months in my down time has been to research and plan every little thing that I can for Semester at Sea. I have my visas done, my paperwork in, I have read through the field program book 3 times, harassed my mom endlessly for a few days to make sure to pay (THANKS MOM!), created my blog, checked the SAS Spring 2010 facebook groups at least a few times a day for new ideas and thoughts on the trip, and basically everything else under the sun that has to do with SAS as to not do my work...  {side note: Mom and Dad, old habits die hard, sorry college didn't change me more.} If you want to get a taste of what goes through my mind within just a short few minutes, keep reading about the process of creating this blog and a few other random thoughts. If you really don't give a shit and are only reading this to make sure I am still breathing, this is where you should stop.

So, when I first created my blog, the first thing I thought about was a witty title or one that contained a pun. But Ali at Sea was too cliche-- it was also taken as a domain name. When I finally thought about Where in the World is Carmen San Diego (who knows how I even ended up at that thought), I realized that it was perfect. Not only am I traveling the world, but my entire family has taken bets on whether I will be making it home alive, getting lost in the different countries, or just deciding to stay in a place like South Africa until I miss the luxuries of home. The title also ties into the fact that I am a five year old at heart, and I used to love the computer game of Where in the World is Carmen San Diego. So it might not be witty, it MIGHT be cliche (I have yet to seen someone else's blog title as it but I'm sure they are out there), but I think it is a pretty good fit for me.

Tonight, I decided to put a halt to finals studying, and check up on what people were discussing on the FB discussion boards for SAS. There was a whole topic of blogs, and people had posted theirs so that everyone could follow each others. As I was looking at everyone else's beautiful visual masterpieces of a website, and eloquently written posts, I realized that I was far behind. And by far behind, I mean there are some people that I would have to go back to kindergarten and learn how to write a sentence again in order to write out my thoughts as well as them (take that sentence for instance, I am sure there are loads of mistakes). So I went at work to at least try to make mine better, and changed the layout and coloring so that it was less bright orange and blue (had to represent my mets when I first created it) and more adult, with the occasional bright colors snuck in. So herein lies my new and improved blog, the subject of procrastination and the need to spill my thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ali--- I stopped reading when you said to stop reading. because i should be studying for finals as well. but anyways I just wanted to tell you that i am going to miss you dearly and i dont know how ill survive without you all semester....so you better make it worth it. leaving me that is. you better have the best time ever and entertain me with stories so i can live through your experiences. k thanks. you are coming to meet me and steph really soon, so im done for now. but looove you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali, when you think about procrastinating just remember your fathers mantra all through college. "get behind early as it leaves you more time to catch-up"

    Love you!!!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete