Monday, January 18, 2010

I'm On A Boat... San Diego Day 2; Ensenada, Mexico; Middle of the Ocean {Part 1}

AND its going fast AND I got my nautical themed pashmina afghan! Sorry if that doesn't sound familiar to anyone reading this but its a reference to a song from an snl group. Funny stuff, everyone keeps singing it.
SO I AM ON A BOAT!!!!! I am already having an amazing time, I know that this is going to be an incredible semester and I am so excited that I am actually getting to do it! It is just so surreal, and I keep having to pinch myself to remind myself that it is happening. I don't know if it will ever sink in, just as there are days that I walk around Madison saying to myself, "Wow, I am in college here." So first things first- yesterdays events!
So, since I am trying to not use the internet at all until Hawaii, I cannot remember what my last update was. So I will start from Saturday morning. I woke up feeling nice and well-rested, I slept so unbelievably well, probably becaue I was much calmer after meeting some people and seeing that they were nice. So, I woke up, got my complimentary breakfast and tea in the club (thanks dad!), then skyped with Annie (miss you!) and then at around 11 set off on my own to go venture around San Diego. I went to Little Italy Farmer's Market, which was really cute and fun-- I had a lot of great pesto. And then while I was waiting for a cab, I spoke to Kara about recommendations for what to do in San Diego, hoping that she would have something since she is moving there pretty soon. She recommended the zoo, but we came to a joint conclusion that going to the zoo by yourself is a pretty freaking depressing thing... and really only for pedophiles (spelling?). Sooo then I went to Westfield's Hortons Plaza, which is what they call an "open-air mall" and the structure of it is just really amazing. Its like a multi-level maze. So I got a delicious panini lunch there and then went on search for a cheap, public transportation route back to the hotel. I ended up waiting for the bus that I found on my phone, but the driver told me I was on the wrong side of the street. So I went to the other side, and got on the right bus just a few minutes later. Took the bus to the airport, got off a stop to early, so walked a little and then took the hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel with a few other SASers from Minnesota who had just arrived. We didn't know any of the same people, very sad. Finally, I got back to the hotel around 2.
At around 2:30, I went to sit outside by the pool with my book, but it was FREEZING because the sun wasn't out. So, I switched to inside and sat for a little before heading back upstairs. A few hours later, I showered, got ready to meet some more people, and went to meet up with my mom's friend's college friend's daughter who is doing SAS (did you follow that?). She was really nice, I met some of her friends who all go to Bucknell and then eventually went back to my room when they all left for dinner with their parents. I ordered some room service dinner, relaxed for a little and then headed down to the hotel bar. I spoke to this one girl a little while waiting for drinks, and then sat down at the bar by myself looking around awkwardly while she went back to her family. Thank god for her, she was so nice and invited me over to join her fam, said they were just talking about SAS so I wouldnt really be intruding. We eventually et up with other people and headed outside where a large group of SASers had gathered. At 12:15, I headed upstairs, and eventually got to sleep by 1, extremely excited for the next day.

ps. i am currently using a pc after using a mac all through college so far, and for all the commercials that they make for it, the worst difference that I have found is that this pc does not have spell check for everything, including emails.

More updates to come later. Currently rough seas and I must go to sleep...

2 comments:

  1. I am still just amazed that you got up twice for breakfast! at home you sleep through breakfast. You really are changing!
    So weird thinking that my little princess is sailing somewhere in the Pacific Ocean right now...

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are reading your blog and looking forward to enjoying this adventure through your eyes!!
    Have fun and be safe
    Love,

    Aunt Lori

    ReplyDelete