Sunday, February 7, 2010

En Route from Hawaii to Japan {Part 1}

*The dates of this post are way off, since I wrote it a while ago, and the email server was down so they weren't going out for some time. (I email my blog posts to save internet minutes) This also means that some emails were being bounced so its possible I didn't recieve emails that anyone might have sent. But lets pretend that this was actually posted when I originally tried last week...


Yesterday was Tuesday, February 2. Today is Thursday, February 4. How does that happen you wonder? We went over the International Date Line, which, is an imaginary line that does a Pirates of the Caribbean bouncy sky type thing when you cross it (kidding). It is basically just the line which is the basis for all time zones… on one side of it, we were at the last possible time zone (-12, if you are looking on a phone), behind in time from everyone else in the world. On the other side of it, we are +12, ahead in time from the rest of the world. So, in some sense, we went from 3:15 on Tuesday to 3:16 on Wednesday (since that was when we crossed it), but for easier scheduling purposes we just went from Tuesday at 11:59 to Thursday at 12:00.
It has been a pretty boring few days since we left Hawaii, and most of my time has been spent playing card games and studying on our no classes day yesterday. I am also involved in a lot of clubs and have a lot of projects to work on for classes, so I have been planning and organizing things for that. Since two of my friends were leading it, I went to try salsa dancing the other day. It was a sad, sad attempt and I gave up after a few minutes. Some of my friends can do it excellently though.
On Saturday night, my friends and I attempted to sleep outside. It’s supposed to be amazing and we wanted to do it on a day where we wouldn’t have to be very awake the next day, OR it got too cold. At midnight, we headed outside with blankets, sleeping bags, yoga mats, pillows, etc. and were watching a movie. I kept falling asleep during the movie so that was a major fail, BUT my sleeping bag was incredibly warm and comfortable and amazing. After the movie, we lost 3 or 4 people who decided that they were sleeping in their beds. So about 6 of us were left outside. At 4am I woke up to extreme winds, with yoga mats flying at my head. It was terrifying, but hilarious because one of my friends was running around chasing after things that were flying around. There were only four of us left, and as we all woke up from the wind, we decided to call it a night. At least we can say we tried. I was so tired and it was so warm in my room, that I passed out on top of my bed and slept really late the next morning.
The following day I had a bunch of meetings. One for my global studies group where we decided we are doing a project on how restaurants and markets are sustainable with their food. I went to a seminar on travel photography, which was really interesting and helpful. I had a meeting for a committee that I am chairing- it is the Students of Service Auction. There is a day in April that we have both a regular auction and silent auction and raise money to support the scholarship funds and the field programs. For anyone at home reading this- they have raised tens of thousands of dollars in the past, and have big selling things such as peoples timeshares or houses in fun vacation spots that students come together to plan a reunion, or the faculty and staff would like for themselves and their families. Tickets to sports games too--- so for all you season ticket holders…  If you have anything that you would like to donate to the auction, it is truly for a great cause and would be extremely helpful! But, since I am posting it on here, so no pressure.
Two nights ago, we had a ship-wide dance in the union. Two notes here: everyone was sober and the Union is the rockiest spot on the ship. It was crazy, so much fun, but it even further reinforced that I really CAN’T dance. It was a mismatch party as well, so people were wearing crazy, ridiculous outfits that were very funny.
Yesterday was NO CLASS DAY. It was exciting, but most people spent the day doing more work than normal. It’s funny because no class days typically follow 4 days of classes, so it is like a weekend. However, at school, I do all my work during the week so that I don’t have to on the weekend. Here, it is the exact opposite. Now, we only have 3 days of classes not including today before we have a break for a WEEK while we are in JAPAN!!! WOOO. Anyway, I had some meetings also on no class day, and ended the day watching Jaws in the union. I had never seen it, but remember going to the ride at Universal, and Jason screaming and crying having a panic attack at the VERY fake shark… as I am writing this I hope that I have the memory right and that it wasn’t me. I had joked in the beginning of the movie that they were playing it for everyone so that people wouldn’t want to go cage diving (shark diving) in South Africa. Little did I know, one of the last scenes of the movie was the shark attacking and breaking the cage… so, not that I had any plans to go cage diving in the first place, it definitely convinced me to never go.
This morning I had my first test in Global Mental Health. It was pretty easy… I did well on it. It is gloomy and dark outside, and it was extremely difficult for me to wake up this morning- further reinforcing the point that if I lived in an inside cabin I would sleep ALL DAY without sunlight. Now, I should probably go pay attention in class… Ja ne! (wikipedia says thats goodbye in Japanese, I hope its correct)

No comments:

Post a Comment