Thursday, February 25, 2010

GOOOOOD MORNING VIETNAM!!

Xin chao! Just arrived in Vietnam... it is absolutely magnificent and all we have seen so far are the trees lining the Saigon River. This really feels like the start of the trip since what we have seen so far as been different, but not nearly as much as it will be from here on out. I can't wait! Two quick stories since I really just made a blog post on this so that I can make the title what it is (if you haven't seen the movie, go rent it) and wasn't planning on writing anything else...
1. My professor got arrested during a protest with Martin Luther King, Jr. He was bored in grad school, saw an ad of some sort for a protest in Florida, went there and learned that they needed 4 volunteers to be arrested the first day of the few day protest (2 white, 2 black, male and female of each) and he was the only white male in the audience. So, he was arrested with Martin Luther King, Jr. It might be the coolest thing I have ever heard.
2. We had a panel of speakers in our global studies class that were both in the Vietnam War and protested the Vietnam War. It was incredibly interesting to hear their stories, both veterans cried, and it REALLY put things into perspective. They were our age when they were in Vietnam and one of them pointed out that the next time that we complain about the five drink rule or the crappy food to think about how they were lucky to get a canteen full of water. I thought that was a really great point to have made. Anyway, they also said that if you are going to protest a war hate the war not the soldiers. Thought that was also a good point.
Off to Cambodia I go in a few hours as well...
Tam biet!

No comments:

Post a Comment