HELLOOO MAINLAND AFRICA! I am currently sitting outside taking a studying break, staring out on one side at a beautiful sunny day (the temperature is perfect enough that I am able to sit in the shade with jeans and t-shirt on... perfect) with the incredible blue water reflecting the bright sun and cloudless sky. On the other side is at the moment a fairly large city but has throughout the earlier part of the day been the rural Africa that I pictured. Some friends estimate that we are about 20 miles away from the coast and I am going to believe them since I have no concept of distance. It is pretty amazing. We had a really rocky day yesterday, and according to the map on our screen knew that we were pretty close to Africa but it wasn’t until last night once the sun set and we were able to see the city of Durban lit up. From what I have heard, the reason that we are so close to the shore is that it is either the shortest distance and easiest way to get to Cape Town, but also that this is the area where all the sailors/explorers used to fail their mission to sail around the world all those years ago. After yesterday I understand why no boats could make it through. It is crazy that mainland Africa is so close to me right now. I just want to swim ashore already, I am so excited! We arrive in Cape Town in a little under two days!
Happy Passover to all the Jews reading this!!
No comments:
Post a Comment