The sunrises and sunsets have been beyond incredible this whole time pretty much. We sit and stare all the time. Especially the last few days though, the sun was setting bright red, and rising a beautiful, radiant pink (yes, I woke up for the sunrise). We are all also falling in love with the ocean. It is just so crazy to sit and stare at the water and the suns reflections and the colors lighting up the sky and realize that we are just such a tiny part of the world. We are a dot in the big blue ocean. It’s just so amazingly beautiful every day. I don’t know how I am going to not be able to watch it all the time when I get back home. I might be sitting by the lakes in Madison this summer every sunrise/sunset. Anyway, here are some things that we have been up to lately…
Disney Movies: We have been watching non-stop Disney movies as both my friend and I got these massive Disney movie packages in Vietnam- 136 movies!! It is incredible. So that has been really great and exciting…
Crossed the Equator: NEPTUNE DAY! There is a tradition that when you cross the equator you honor that day as Neptune Day by having fish guts poured on you, kissing a fish, and shaving your head. So, that day just passed and it was a lot of fun. There were rumors that the crew would wake us up at 5am but they didn’t until 8 by drumming and dancing down the hallways. Then, everyone went out to the top deck where the festivities began. I am amazed at how many people shaved their heads. I have heard something like 200 people and around 50 of them are girls. It’s absolutely hilarious to walk around the ship and just see all these bald heads. Someone made a funny comment about how everyone decided to shave their heads to look like skinheads/neo-nazis right before we get to Africa. But yeah, when I have the chance I will post a picture of me with my newly shaved head. It’s sadly not very smooth. The good news though is that they added in a locks of love donation possibility so a lot of people were also just cutting their hair short and donating!
Talent Show: We have an unbelievably talented group of people on the ship. Aside from the talented singers that are inevitably found in a large group of people, there was a competitive jump roper, breakdancers, swing, hula and salsa dancers, incredibly talented poets/rappers, etc. It was a long show but definitely entertaining. There are also a bunch of singers who have cd’s coming out after the voyage. Crazy.
No comments:
Post a Comment